“为何我们不能长相厮守?”这是中文翻译。
不过黑布林英文版看得很累,还好前面有一张家庭图,不然我真的就分不清人物的名字了
给吧里注一点活力。

IP属地:浙江来自iPhone客户端1楼2021-07-23 12:37回复
    英文版确实难读,加油!
    楼主可能需要的东西:约瑟夫方言的翻译https://wuthering-heights.co.uk/josephs-speech

IP属地:美国2楼2021-07-24 10:03
    收起回复
      (可能有点偏题,楼主说的是翻译的问题,而我说的是概括,但是我第一个联想到的)确实有些地方用中文表述过来更美,比如印象很深的第九章凯瑟琳对耐丽讲述她的梦,英文原文和中文翻译是
      【`If I were in heaven, Nelly, I should be extremely miserable.'
      `Because you are not fit to go there,', I answered. `All sinners would be miserable in heaven.'
      `But it is not for that. I dreamt once that I was there.'
      `I tell you I won't hearken to your dreams, Miss Catherine! I'll go to bed,' I interrupted again.
      She laughed, and held me down; for I made a motion to leave my chair.
      `This is nothing,' cried she: `I was only going to say that heaven did not seem to be my home; and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to earth; and the angels were so angry that they flung me out into the middle of the heath on the top of Wuthering Heights; where I woke sobbing for joy. That will do to explain my secret, as well as the other. I've no more business to marry Edgar Linton than I have to be in heaven; and if the wicked man in there had not brought Heathcliff so low, I shouldn't have thought of it. It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same; and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.'
      “如果我在天堂,耐莉,我一定会非常凄惨。”
      “因为你不配到那儿去,”我回答,“所有的罪人在天堂里都会凄惨的。”
      “可不是为了那个。我有一次梦见我在那儿了。”
      “我告诉你我不要听你的梦,凯瑟琳小姐!我要上床睡觉啦。”我又打断了她。她笑了,按着我坐下来,因为我要离开椅子走了。
      “这并没有什么呀,”她叫着,“我只是要说天堂并不是像我的家。我就哭得很伤心,要回到尘世上来。而天使们大为愤怒,就把我扔到呼啸山庄的荒原中间了。我就在那儿醒过来,高兴得直哭。这就可以解释我的秘密了,别的也是一样。讲到嫁给埃德加·林惇,我并不比到天堂去更热心些。如果那边那个恶毒的人不把希刺克厉夫贬得这么低,我还不会想到这个。现在,嫁给希刺克厉夫就会降低我的身份,所以他永远也不会知道我多么爱他;那并不是因为他英俊,耐莉,而是因为他比我更像我自己。不论我们的灵魂是什么做成的,他的和我的是一模一样的;而林惇的灵魂不同有如月光和闪电,或者霜和火,完全不同。”】
      有人把这段话概括成了“我梦见天堂不是我家,流泪心碎后,我要重返人间”,当时就觉得很惊艳,这种表述很美而且很有力度

IP属地:美国3楼2021-07-24 10:10
      回复
        原文和翻译本我都看过,原文确实非常惊艳,几个翻译本也把原文的语言美尽量地展现出来了,可以看到几位译者用心了

IP属地:美国4楼2021-07-24 10:12
        回复