英国古典文学吧 关注:475贴子:45,593

【呼啸山庄】 第十五章 英 艾米莉·勃朗特

只看楼主收藏回复

又过了一个星期——我更接近了健康和春天!
Another week passed - I was closer to health and spring!
我现在已经听完了我的邻人的全部历史,因为这位管家可以从比较重要的工作中腾出空闲常来坐坐。
I have now heard all the history of my neighbour, because the housekeeper can make room for his more important work.

IP属地:天津1楼2019-09-11 17:36回复
    我要用她自己的话继续讲下去,只是压缩一点。
    I'm going to continue in her own words, just to compress a little.
    总的说,她是一个说故事的能手,我可不认为我能把她的风格改得更好。
    Generally speaking, she is a good storyteller. I don't think I can change her style better.
    晚上,(她说):就是我去山庄的那天晚上,我知道希刺克厉夫先生又在附近,就像是我看到了他;我不出去,因为我还把他的信搁在口袋里,而且不愿再被吓唬或被揶揄了。
    In the evening, (she said): the night I went to the Heights, I knew Mr Heathcliff was near again, as if I had seen him; I did not go out, because I still put his letter in my pocket and did not want to be frightened or teased any more.

IP属地:天津2楼2019-09-11 18:12
    回复
      我决定现在不交这信,一直等到我主人到什么地方去后再说,因为我拿不准凯瑟琳收到这信后会怎么样。
      I decided not to hand in the letter until my master went somewhere, because I was not sure what would happen to Catherine when she received it.
      结果是,这信过了三天才到她的手里。
      As a result, it took three days for the letter to reach her.
      第四天是星期日,等到全家都去教堂后,我就把信带到她屋里。
      The fourth day was Sunday, when the whole family went to church, I took the letter to her room.

IP属地:天津3楼2019-09-11 18:50
      回复
        还有一个男仆留下来同我看家。
        Another servant stayed with me.
        我们经常在做礼拜时把门锁住,可是那天天气是这么温暖宜人,我就把门都大开,而且,我既然知道谁会来,为了履行我的诺言,我就告诉我的同伴的说女主人非常想吃桔子,他得跑到村里去买几个,明天再付钱。他走了,我就上了楼。
        We often lock our doors at church, but it was such a warm and pleasant day that I opened them wide, and since I knew who would come, in order to fulfill my promise, I told my companion that the hostess wanted to eat oranges very much. He had to go to the village to buy some and pay for them tomorrow, when he left, I went upstairs.

IP属地:天津4楼2019-09-11 19:37
        回复
          林-夫人穿着一件宽大的白衣服,和往常一样,坐在一个敞开着窗子的凹处,肩上披着一条薄薄的肩巾。
          Mrs. Lin was wearing a broad white dress and, as usual, was sitting in an open window recess with a thin shoulder scarf over her shoulders.
          她那厚厚的长发在她初病时曾剪去一点,现在她简单地梳梳,听其自然地披在她的鬓角和颈子上。
          Her thick long hair, which had been cut off a little at the beginning of her illness, was now simply combed and naturally draped around her temples and neck.
          正如我告诉过希刺克厉夫的一样,她的外表是改变了;但当她是宁静的时候,在这种变化中仿佛具有非凡的美。
          As I have told Heathcliff, her appearance has changed; but when she is quiet, there seems to be extraordinary beauty in this change.

IP属地:天津5楼2019-09-11 20:42
          回复
            她眼里的亮光已经变成一种梦幻的、忧郁的温柔;她的眼睛不再给人这种印象:她是在望着她四周的东西;而是显现出总是在凝视着远方,遥远的地方——你可以说是望着世外。
            The light in her eyes had become a dreamy, melancholy tenderness; her eyes no longer gave the impression that she was looking around her; they showed that she was always gazing at distant, distant places, you could say, the world.
            还有她脸上的苍白——她恢复之后,那种憔悴的面貌是消失了——还有从她心境中所产生的特别表情,虽然很凄惨地暗示了原因,却使她格外令人爱怜;这些现象——对于我,我知道,对于别的看见她的人都必然认为——足以反驳那些说是正在康复的明证,却标明她是注定要凋谢了。
            And the paleness of her face, which disappeared after she recovered, and the special expression that came from her mood, which, though sadly suggesting the cause, made her particularly lovable; these phenomena, for me, I know, must be considered enough by all who saw her. Reject the evidence that she is recovering, but indicate that she is doomed to wither.

IP属地:天津6楼2019-09-11 21:25
            收起回复
              一本书摆在她面前的窗台上,打开着,简直令人感觉不到的风间或掀动着书页。我相信是林-放在那儿的:因为她从来不想读书,或干任何事,他得花上许多钟头来引她注意那些以前曾使她愉快的事物。
              A book was placed on the windowsill in front of her, open, almost invisible wind or flipping pages. I believe it was Lin - who put it there: because she never wanted to read or do anything, he had to spend many hours drawing her attention to things that had made her happy before.
              她明白他的目的,在她心情较好时,就温和地听他摆布;只是时不时地压下一声疲倦的叹息,表示这些是没有用的,到最后就用最悲惨的微笑和亲吻来制止他。在其他时候,她就突然转身,用手掩着脸,或者甚至愤怒地把他推开;然后他就小心翼翼地让她自己待着,因为他确信自己是无能为力的了。
              She understood his purpose, and when she was in a better mood, she listened to him gently; but every now and then she suppressed a tired sigh to show that it was useless, and in the end she stopped him with the saddest smile and kiss, at other times, she suddenly turns around, hides her face with her hands, or even pushes him away angrily; then he carefully lets herself stay because he is convinced that he is powerless.

IP属地:天津7楼2019-09-11 22:15
              回复
                吉默吞的钟还在响着;山谷里那涨满了的水溪传来的潺潺流水声非常悦耳。
                Gimmerton's bell was still ringing; the murmuring sound of the flooded stream in the valley was very pleasant.

这美妙的声音代替了现在还没有到来的夏日树叶飒飒声,等到树上生了果子,这声音就湮没了田庄附近的那种音乐。
                This wonderful voice replaced the whisper of summer leaves that had not yet arrived, and when the trees had fruit, it obliterated the music near the Grange.
                在呼啸山庄附近,在风雪或雨季之后的平静日子里,这小溪总是这样响着的。
                Near Wuthering Heights, on quiet days after snowstorm or rainy season, the stream always sounds like this.

IP属地:天津本楼含有高级字体8楼2019-09-11 22:50
                回复
                  在凯瑟琳倾听时,那就是,如果她是在想着或倾听着的话;她所想的就是呼啸山庄!
                  When Catherine listens, that is, if she is thinking or listening; what she thinks is Wuthering Heights!
                  可是她有着我以前提到过的那种茫然的、捉摸不到的神气,这表明她的耳朵或眼睛简直不能辨识任何外界的东西。
                  But she had the vague, elusive look I had mentioned before, which showed that her ears or eyes could hardly recognize anything outside.
                  “有你一封信,林-夫人,”我说,轻轻把信塞进她摆在膝上的一只手里。
                  "There's a letter for you, Mrs. Lin," I said, gently tucking it into one of her hands on her knee.

IP属地:天津9楼2019-09-11 23:34
                  回复
                    我打开它——信很短。
                    I opened it - the letter was short.
                    “现在,”我接着说,“看吧。
                    "Now," I continued, "look."
                    ”她缩回她的手,任这信掉到地上。
                    She retracted her hand and let the letter fall to the ground.
                    我又把它放在她的怀里,站着等她乐意朝下面看看的时候;可是她总是不动,终于我说——
                    I put it in her arms again and stood waiting for her to look down; but she never moved, and finally I said——

IP属地:天津11楼2019-09-12 11:07
                    回复
                      “要我-吗,太太?
                      "Do you want me, madam?
                      是从希刺克厉夫先生那儿来的。”
                      It's from Mr Heathcliff."
                      她一惊,露出一种因回忆而苦恼的神色,竭力使自己镇定下来。
                      She was shocked, showing a look of distress caused by memories, trying to calm herself down.
                      她拿起信,仿佛是在阅读;当她看到签名的地方,她叹息着;但我还是发现她并没有领会到里面的意思,因为我急着要听她的回信,她却只指着署名,带着悲哀的、疑问的热切神情盯着我。
                      She picked up the letter as if she were reading it; when she saw the signature, she sighed; but I still found that she did not understand it, because I was anxious to hear from her, but she only pointed to her signature and looked at me with sad, questioning enthusiasm.

IP属地:天津12楼2019-09-12 11:36
                      回复
                        “唉,他想见见你,”我说,心想她需要一个人给她解释,“这时候他在花园里,急想知道我将给他带去什么样的回信呢”。
                        "Well, he wants to see you," I said, thinking she needed an explanation, "he's in the garden now, and he's anxious to know what kind of reply I'm going to take to him."
                        在我说话的时候,我看见躺在下面向阳的草地上的一只大狗竖起了耳朵,仿佛正要吠叫,然后耳朵又向后平下去。
                        As I spoke, I saw a big dog lying on the sunny grass below with its ears raised as if barking, and then its ears flattened backwards.
                        它摇摇尾巴算是宣布有人来了,而且它不把这个人当作陌生人看待。
                        It wags its tail to announce that someone is coming, and it doesn't treat this person as a stranger.

IP属地:天津13楼2019-09-12 12:11
                        回复
                          林-夫人向前探身,上气不接下气地倾听着。
                          Mrs. Lin leaned forward and listened out of breath.
                          过了一分钟,有脚步声穿过大厅;这开着门的房子对于希刺克厉夫是太诱惑了,他不能不走进来:大概他以为我有意不履行诺言,就决定随心所欲地大胆行事了。
                          A minute later, footsteps passed through the hall; the open house was so tempting for Heathcliff that he could not but come in: presumably he thought I was deliberately breaking my promise and decided to act boldly as he wished.
                          凯瑟琳带着紧张的热切神情,盯着她卧房的门口。
                          Catherine stared at the door of her bedroom with a tense eagerness.

IP属地:天津14楼2019-09-12 12:39
                          回复
                            他并没有马上发现应该走进哪间屋子:她示意要我接他进来,可是我还没走到门口,他已经找到了,而且大步走到她身边,把她搂在自己怀里了。
                            He did not immediately find out which room to go into: she motioned me to pick him up, but before I reached the door, he had found it, and strode to her side, holding her in his arms.
                            有五分钟左右,他没说话,也没放松他的拥抱,在这段时间我敢说他给予的吻比他有生以来所给的还多:但是先吻他的是我的女主人,我看得清清楚楚,他由于真正的悲痛,简直不能直瞅她的脸!
                            For five minutes or so, he did not speak or relax his hug, during which time I dare say that he gave more kisses than he had ever given: but first kissed him was my hostess, and I could see clearly that he could hardly look straight into her face because of real grief!

IP属地:天津15楼2019-09-12 13:36
                            回复
                              他一看见她,就跟我同样地确信,她是没有最后复原的希望了——她命中注定,一定要死了。
                              As soon as he saw her, he was as sure as I was that she had no hope of final recovery - she was doomed to die.
                              “啊,凯蒂! 啊,我的命! 我怎么受得了啊?”
                              "Ah, Katie! Ah, my life! How can I stand it?"
                              这是他说出的第一句话,那声调并不想掩饰他的绝望。
                              This was the first thing he said, and the tone did not attempt to hide his despair.
                              现在他这么热切地盯着她,他的凝视是这么热烈,我想他会流泪的。
                              Now he's staring at her so eagerly, his stare is so intense, I think he'll cry.
                              但是那对眼睛却燃烧着极度的痛苦:并没化作泪水。
                              But the eyes burned with extreme pain: they did not turn into tears.

IP属地:天津16楼2019-09-12 14:10
                              回复