周建成吧 关注:37贴子:5,428
  • 4回复贴,共1

Guardian Unlimited Film Features (16.The Birds)

只看楼主收藏回复

The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, US, 1963)

The crows gather on the climbing frame
By the time Melanie Daniels (Tippi Hedren) arrives outside of the Bodega Bay school, we have already seen seagulls attack a children's birthday party, finches have streamed down Rod Taylor's chimney terrifying his family and one of the town's residents has been pecked to death. Hedren has gone to collect Taylor's sister and while she waits for the class to end - the birds seem to know that playtime is about to start - she sits with her back to the playround smoking, oblivious to the massing ranks of crows. Hitchcock used more than 80 camera angles - only a handful of the birds were real - to shoot the scene.

The camera lingers on Hedren for what seems an age - we can hear the children singing in the background - and the suspense is maintained with the camera cutting back and forth to the climbing frame as the crows mass. Hedren turns to discover the birds, rushes into the classroom and while the children are being evacuated down the main street the crows attack.

1楼2007-06-26 10:33回复
    Evan Hunter, scriptwriter:
    "Hitchcock called out of the blue and asked me if I would like to write the screenplay for The Birds. He told me to forget the original Daphne du Maurier story. All he wanted to use was the name and the idea of these birds attacking humans. I had worked on a number of stories for his television series but I didn't know Hitchcock too well when I received the call. We were going after different things. He wanted the film to be artsy and I simply wanted to scare people out of their wits. But he shot this particular scene completely in line with my script. Others were changed as they were shot and the last 10 pages of the script were dropped completely, but this scene was shot as I wrote it. I wanted to get the contrast between the innocence of the children's voices in the background and the malevolence of the birds. We have already seen the birthday party attacked and we know that the birds are dangerous, which goes against all our preconceptions. So when they start to mass we know there will be trouble."

"It was beautifully shot to build the audience's apprehension. If there was one thing that I would now change I would not have had Tippi following the final bird as it comes into land - the moment she realises that the birds have massed while she smoked her cigarette. Instead I think she should have simply turned around casually in one movement and been faced by the horror of the sight of the birds."

Hunter went on to write the screenplay for another Hitchcock movie, 'Marnie', but the two argued and he left before the film was finished. Hunter is perhaps better known as crime writer Ed McBain. His favourite scene from 'The Birds' features Hedren, trapped in a telephone box, being attacked by our feathered friends.

2楼2007-06-26 10:34
    回复
      Howard Smit, make-up artist:
      "The images of pecked flesh that came out on that screen came from my imagination. I had never seen anyone pecked and although we researched it we couldn't find any examples, so I had to make it just as I saw it. In those days we were restricted as to the amount of blood we could show. We were trying to make it as realistic as possible and that is, I think, what we achieved. Nothing had been done like this before. It was an important film in make-up terms. The make-up for this scene was not demanding - it was just Tippi's normal beauty make-up. But once the children were under attack as they ran down the street, that is when we got into the action."

3楼2007-06-26 10:34
      回复
        Robert Boyle, production designer:
        "We had a lot of technical problems. Hitchcock wanted everything planned and so we had to storyboard everything - there was no computer help in those days. Hitchcock wanted Melanie to come out of the school house, sit down, relax, smoke a cigarette, while the audience is aware of the birds gathering. All the time we hold her in a loose shot, very relaxed. For the next shot we move in closer and listen to the children singing off-camera. All the time she sits and the camera moves in a little closer. We, the audience, are aware of the crows, but the tension is mounting, until we move in on a closed shot of Melanie - Hitchcock's instruction was to hold the shot until the audience just can't stand it any longer and then we see the mayhem. The essence of this scene was Hitchcock's vision of a woman sitting, not knowing what was happening, while the audience can see everything and knows the danger."

Robert Boyle went on to work with Hitchcock on 'Marnie' and his final unfinished film called 'The Short Night'. The climbing frame scene is his favourite from 'The Birds': "The whole film takes off from there - it is the turning point of the movie."

4楼2007-06-26 10:34
        回复
          在James以前的blog中提过这部电影哦

5楼2007-06-26 10:36
          回复